Pages

Tuesday, October 31, 2017

In Honor of Halloween: My real-Life "Scary" Story

In “honor” of Halloween (a day that deserves no honor), I’m gonna share with you why we don’t celebrate Halloween.  (We take our kids to a movie, instead, or buy them a movie they’ve been wanting and have a “family movie night” with candy and popcorn.  So no need to feel sorry for them; they are not deprived.  In fact, we just went today to see the Lego Ninjago movie.  Enjoyable movie ... but I was so tired that I almost fell asleep in the first ten minutes.  And then later when I saw a Lego character sipping from a Lego coffee mug, all I could think was, Mmm, coffee!  I want coffee!  You know you're tired when you envy a Lego character drinking fake coffee.)

You don’t have to believe me, but this really happened.  (Not talking about the Lego thing.  I'm sure you figured that was real.  I'm referring to what's coming up.  And for the longer version of this story on my other blog, click here.)  And don't read this if you want to keep enjoying Halloween. 

It started on a dark night in the middle of nowhere, in the bluffs of Iowa, where there are virtually no neighbors, no sounds, no cars going by at night.  Pitch black, silent darkness.


We were visiting my grandma for the weekend.  And before I went to bed that night, I watched a program on TV from National Geographic.  It was on the Codex Gigas (aka “the Devil’s Bible).  It wasn’t a sensationalized show or anything, just a look at an old, mysterious book.  I really thought nothing of it at the time.  I was actually intending to scoff at the program. 

But later that night (or the next, I can't remember), I was sound asleep in my room when I was suddenly awoken in the middle of the night to the sound of screaming.  Not normal screaming, mind you, but the sound of thousands of people screaming out in pain all at once.  A horrible, painful wail of humanity. 

But the sound wasn’t coming from outside.

It was coming from inside my head.


No, I wasn’t losing my mind or hallucinating (or whatever the hallucinating equivalent is for hearing things that aren’t there).  But I could clearly hear this awful screaming.  And coupled with it was an intense feeling of darkness, of evil.

I had never experienced this before, so I did the only thing I could think of:  I called out “Jesus, help me.”

And the sounds subsided.  And I slept fine the rest of the night.


But that was just the beginning of almost five months of regular, nighttime, demonic harassment.

Several times a week for the next five months, I was woken up with various different sensations.  At different times, I woke up hearing screaming, feeling something heavy on my chest, feeling paralyzed, or (the usual one) feeling like my body was being electrocuted by a bolt of lightning or a blast of electricity.  I would feel this electricity and it would paralyze my body and mouth, making it hard to call on the name of Jesus for a minute or so.  Many times, I could almost sense something in the room before I went to bed, a chill or a presence. 

Later on, it began to feel more vivid and violent.  Once, in my “dream,” I could feel a snake-like demon wrap itself around my leg, which woke me up feeling electrocuted.  And another time, I was “dreaming” that a demon was in the room, hovering over me in a cloud of black smoke as I slept.  I could feel the intense hatred radiating from this being, as though he wanted to cause me serious harm, but was prevented from doing so.  And then, I saw these long, black arms reach out to grab me, and immediately I felt the electricity and woke up.  Other times, I could sense their presence as I slept, without really “seeing” anything.  And just as I began to realize that I needed to call on Jesus for help, I would feel the electricity and wake up and struggle to break through the paralysis and make my mouth move again so that I could call on Jesus’ name. 

There was one minor time when I heard “thunder” in my ears (that rumbly sound you get when you yawn really deep and long) after saying this in my dream, “You know the book that the guy wrote about his trip to heaven … I believe him.”  Immediately after saying that, the thunder sound came and woke me up. 

I’ve heard strange loud noises just as I was falling asleep and crossing over from consciousness to unconsciousness, like breaking glass or a cup of marbles being dropped onto a sheet of metal.  Weird noises that jolt you awake but would have no real explanation.  (My husband experienced this around that time, too.)

I’ve had very disgusting, bizarre images pop into my mind out of nowhere as I was falling asleep, grotesque images of severed heads, corpses, and really strange images I would never even think about imagining.  And they would come one right after the next, as I tried to focus my thoughts back on the Lord.  I believe these are spiritual attacks, too, and not just “my own thoughts.” 

And then there were a bunch of disturbing times when I woke up feeling like something was holding my mouth shut or sucking the air out of me or sucking my face up into a “vacuum.”  One time, I woke up feeling like something was choking me.  I actually was fully conscious, laying there and thinking, Could I be choking myself?  There’s one hand of mine, but where’s the other?  Is it my own hand choking me?  But it wasn’t; both of my hands were under my pillow.  And as I continued to nod off again, I would feel the grip getting tighter and tighter.  And then as I woke up again, it would loosen.  That only continued for a minute or so, until I was awake enough to call out Jesus’ name.  But it really bothered me to see how “physical” it was getting.                                



While you may doubt it, I no longer think that most of those “dreams” about a demonic presence were actually dreams.  (Hey, you weren’t there; I was.)  I know what a dream and a nightmare feel like.  And this felt nothing like that.  I never really jolt wide-awake with a nightmare.  Nightmares are usually scary things that I can’t seem to wake up from.  Or they simply play out for a little while, then go away, and then I don’t think of them again until I wake up.  But I do jolt wide-awake during these attacks, feeling electrocuted and usually just as I realize there is a demonic presence and I need to call on Jesus. 

After really thinking them over, I have come to believe that they are more like visions – an awareness by my spirit of what is going on in the spirit realm around me, even as my physical body sleeps.  You don’t have to agree with me, but this makes the most sense for me as I consider how it happens and what is going on in my mind right before these attacks happen.



You might not think so, but I believe the Bible when it says that angels and demons are real.  And while they never really physically bothered me before, I believe that I “invited” them in when I watched that program on the Devil’s Bible.  Maybe demons float around, waiting for someone to roll out a “welcome mat” for them, such as watching demonic things or engaging in occultic things.  Or maybe they got bored of harassing cows out there in Iowa.  Either way, something about watching that program drew them to me.  Gave them permission to harass me.



I don’t scoff anymore.   


At one point, near the end of the five months, I began to wonder how and where the “electricity” starts.  Does it start in one spot, like my knee, and spread?  Does it come on slow or fast?  Could it really just be a residual effect of a bad dream? 

Well, one morning removed all doubt that it might just be a dream. 

I was lying in bed in the morning, wide awake.  The sun was shining, it was peaceful, and I was just lounging when, out of the blue, I felt like I got hit by a bolt of lightning.  It was fast and hard and fierce, almost to the point of paralyzing me and making it hard to call on Jesus’ name, as it often was upon first waking up that way.  But the difference was that this was the first time it happened while I was fully awake.  So now I was absolutely sure that it couldn’t be just a lingering effect of a bad dream.  These really were spiritual attacks. 

And the weirdest “attack” happened when I was waking up one Sunday morning.  (Almost every Saturday night to Sunday morning brought an attack, which was the first night that it happened, too.  Odd!)  I was lying in bed with my new baby next to me, and my husband was up getting ready for church in the bathroom.  As I laid there fully awake, I felt something creeping up the foot of the bed toward me.

My oldest son (9 years old, at the time) loves to sneak up on us whenever he can, and it felt exactly as if he was trying to creep up our bed on his hands and knees.  I could feel the mattress go down with each hand or knee, and I could feel the edge of my blanket getting pulled under his weight.  And I popped my head up to catch him in the act, but . . . there was nothing there.  Hmmm, that’s odd!  I’m absolutely sure that I felt something. 

I laid back down.  And a few seconds later, it happened again.  This time, I sat up quickly, and still I saw no one.  How could he duck and hide so fast?  I looked on the floor and around the bed to see if he was there and if he was just really good at hiding.  But, of course, he wasn’t there.  (And because we never could get our box-spring up the tiny staircase, our mattress was on the floor.  So there was nowhere to hide.)  

I was baffled by this point.  And just then, my husband came into the room to get his clothes.  And through gritted teeth, I told him, “Something invisible is . . . creeping . . . up . . . the bed!  I can feel it walking up the bed toward me.” 

Not surprisingly, he cocked his eyebrows and looked at me with a skeptical, disturbed, you-must-be-crazy look (meant in the most loving way possible, I’m sure).  And he turned around and went back to the bathroom without saying a word.  (Can’t you just feel the love and support?)






Now, why I didn’t get out of bed at this point or call out Jesus’ name is a mystery to me.  I guess I didn’t want to wake the baby yet, and I was still trying to figure out what was going on.  So I laid there a little longer.  And it started again.  But this time, I had heard the door creak open first and then felt the mattress move.  This time, it’s my oldest son for sure, I thought.  And he can’t hide now!  

I waited until I felt the creeping get up to my knees so that he couldn’t easily jump off the bed, and then I flung my arms and legs around so that I could catch him in the act.  And, yep, that’s right - nothing was there.  It happened one or two more times before I fully believed that it wasn’t just a brilliant trick by one of my kids.  I think I just didn’t want to believe that things like this would happen in the daytime when I was fully awake.  (Oh, and my husband did tell me that he opened the door just a few moments before . . . when I heard the door creak.  So there was an actual reason for the creaking door.  Thank God!) 

I didn’t feel it again after that, but I certainly wasn’t about to leave my baby up in the bed alone.  So I woke him up and took him with me to get ready for church.  And I sang the Ghostbusters theme song the rest of the day.  I tried to stop myself, I really did.  But I couldn’t, you know - with an invisible thing sneakin’ in my bed and all. 

That was one of the most disturbing moments because I began to feel like not only were my nights unsafe, but now my days were, too.  And it really scared me.  Were “they” able to do other physical things, like push me down the stairs or smother me in my sleep?  Would they hurt my children?



While nothing more serious happened than all that, I do not scoff anymore about demonic things.  I do not tinker with them.  And that year I decided that my family wouldn’t “celebrate” Halloween anymore.  I couldn’t ask God to protect us from evil while engaging in a “holiday” that glorifies all things evil.

And that is my real-life “scary” story, the reason we don’t celebrate Halloween and how I learned to always be ready to say “In the name of Jesus Christ, I command you to leave” when I woke up from demonic harassment.

Halloween makes light of demons, of evil.  But they are very real.  And they are anything but fun.  (Click here for a slightly cheesy song from my youth that you probably won't like but that fits right in with Halloween - "Witch's Invitation."