Pages

Monday, October 9, 2017

It's OK to not do your best!


I am a homeschooling mom of four growing boys.  When I made the decision to homeschool, I had one child – a two-year-old.  So at that time, homeschooling seemed totally do-able.  All I had was one child to think about.  Then came the second.  Then the third.  Then the fourth. 
 

And as that has happened, there has been a huge increase in dirty laundry, dirty dishes, piles of clothes, piles of toys, piles of books and papers, crumbs on the floor, noise in the house, fights between kids, schoolwork to dish out and grade, the number of times I hound the kids to get their work done, the amount of food I cook (and my desire to cook healthier), etc. 

 

And consequently, what’s gone way down is my ability to keep up with it all, my self-confidence, my opportunities to sit down and relax, to sleep through the night, to pee without interruption, to have time to think, etc.  (It’s hard to have moments to pause when kids ask “What’s for breakfast … what’s for lunch … what’s for dinner?”  ALL DAY LONG!  They ask about what’s for dinner before we even have lunch!  And I’m like, “We haven’t even had lunch yet, dude … so don’t ask about dinner yet!  I need a break from food and planning.  All you think about it food.  Food, food, food.  All day long.  And if I tell you what we’re having, you’ll just complain anyway.  Because someone always complains.”  Yeah, it’s like that … every day!)
 

Anyway, awhile back, I was thinking about how I can’t keep up with it all.  One person cannot do it all.  But I thought, At least I’m doing my best.  And then I thought that if someone came in my house and watched us for a week and saw all the things that I can’t get done, they would totally disagree that I’m doing my best.  They would say that I am failing in so many areas.
 

And you know?  They’d be right.  I can’t do my best, try as I might.  Not when I am juggling that many things.  And that’s when it dawned on me that instead of taking comfort in the fact that “I’m doing my best” (because I’m really not), I need to take comfort in the fact that “I’m not doing my best … but that’s okay.  Because one person cannot do their best in every area of life.  But I am doing my best to do my best.  And that’s more than enough.” 
 

What I mean is that if I was just a home cook, I could do my best in cooking.  I could make carefully planned meals with all the freshest ingredients.  And it would all be on time and satisfying and super healthy and everyone would love every meal. 
 

If I was just a housecleaner, I could do my best.  There would be no piles of laundry stagnating in the hamper.  All clothes would be immediately put away after folding instead of sitting in piles on the floor and on top of dressers where they end up getting kicked around and then shoved back in the hamper because no one knows if they are dirty or clean because they were never put away in the first place.  The dishes would get done after every meal instead of sitting on the counter for two days.  The floor would get vacuumed every week instead of during the cleaning-frenzy before a birthday party or when company’s coming over.
 

If I was just a homeschooler, I could do my best.  I could sit down with each kid in a timely fashion and go over their work with them.  I could read books to my kids outside under a tree as they sat around me, enthralled with the stories I was reading.  I could take them to the park every week for “gym time” or enroll them in some sport.  I could grade papers and tests in a timely manner and help each child correct every mistake so that they really understood the lessons.
 

If I was just a mom and a friend and a neighbor, I could do my best.  I could help out whenever a neighbor or friend needed a hand.  I could volunteer at church.  I could listen carefully whenever my children talked to me about anything instead of hearing snatches of what they’re telling me as I prepare a rushed dinner, giving them half-hearted answers or telling them that “I don’t really care right now.   Can’t you see I’m making dinner - the meal you ask me about ten times a day?”
 

If I only had one hat to wear, one job to do, I could do my best.  But I don’t have one hat, one job.  I have more than any one person can handle perfectly.  And so I am letting go of “perfectly.”  I am letting go of my need to “do my best.”  And I am going to be content to know that I am doing my best to do my best – which means that I can only really get done about 25% of any one job before needing to move onto the next, oftentimes doing more than one thing at a time (cooking dinner while I make breakfast cake for the next morning as I quiz my son on his spelling words).
 

The Bible even addresses this in a way, when it says “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward.  It is the Lord Jesus you are serving.”  (Col. 3:23-24)
 

It’s not about doing everything perfectly.  It’s about putting your heart into whatever you are doing, doing your best to do your best. 
 

It’s not so much about a perfectly-finished product but about the work, about putting in the best effort you can, the best effort that one person can give.  And if you have multiple jobs to do, it means being okay with the fact that you can’t do it all perfectly but that what you did, you did with all your heart!  
 

I know that I am not alone in this.  Whether you are a stay-at-home parent or a working parent, I am sure that you feel the crushing pressure of too many things to juggle.  And if you’re like me, you keep telling yourself that you are doing your best, yet you realize that you are not keeping up with it all like you wish you could.  And you feel guilty, feel like your best isn’t good enough.
 

Well, I’m here to say … It’s okay to not do your best when you are juggling as many things as you are.  You are human.  You are only one person.  You were never meant to do your best when you’re juggling 85 different things at one time.  But you are doing your best to do your best.  And that’s more than enough!