Pages

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Essential Oil Mosquito Repellant

A couple weeks ago we had a horrible storm go through the area.  It left tons of standing water all over the neighborhood.  And now - predictably - we are swimming in thousands of mosquitoes.

I do not like to use DEET sprays or other toxic products.  Not if I can find a safer alternative.  So what I do is make my own bug spray from essential oils.  This is the recipe I use.  Adjust it as you want to, including the essential oils that are safest for you and your family. 

(Research the oils you want to use to see if they are safe for your family, for young children, for those with compromised immune systems, for pregnant women, etc.  And remember that citrus oils make your skin photo-sensitive.  So I do not put them on my skin if I will be in the sun.  I generally just spray our clothes and hair.  And if you are unsure, use less essential oil instead of more.  And if you are going to put it on your skin, test it on a small patch of skin first before spraying all over.  You can always add more later if it's too weak.)

And one more recommendation to ward off mosquitoes:  Eat lots of garlic!