Pages

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Blogging Pet Peeves


It makes me crazy to visit a blog, clicking on it for the first time, curious what it's about ... only to have a "Join My Newsletter" box pop up not even 5 seconds into my visit.

It's like visiting a car-sales lot or a major appliance store, wanting to just browse around for a moment to see if I even like anything ... and then having pushy salespeople pounce on me like hungry vultures on a fresh carcass, immediately asking, "So, do you see anything you like?  Do you want anything?  Are you gonna buy anything?  Can I show you something else?  Can I?  Can I?  Please!"

Back ... back, you vultures!  Let me breathe.  Let me roam around the site a little before being forced to decide if I want to join your newsletter or not.


Instead of staying awhile and reading posts and seeing what you have to offer, I will almost always click off the site immediately if I get bombarded with a premature, overly-eager newsletter invite.  It's too forward and desperate.  And I have blog-commitment phobia.

I'm just sayin.'

And I can't stand too many advertisements or random info boxes all over the place or super-congested side-bars or lots and lots of pictures here-and-there.  It's hard to even find the post's words sometimes with that much competing for your attention.  

And then there are the blogs that have a different color, different font, or different letter size for every other word or sentence.  That makes me crazy, hurts my eyes.


(So, of course, every blog out there should change their set-up just for me.  That's what it sounds like I'm saying, doesn't it?  I'm just calling out what I know you're thinking.)

So how about you all ... Anyone else have any blogging pet peeves?   Or a salesperson/shopping pet peeve?  Or how about just a general social pet peeve?  (Oh, don't get me started on my pet peeves of "people checking every text they get while they're visiting with you" or "people talking too loudly on their cell-phones in public so you know how special they are" or "the woman directly in front of you in the check-out line at Costco making out with the man in the wheel-chair, basically sitting on his lap, passionately running her hands all over his head, kissing him all over his mouth and moaning in pleasure while we stand in line waiting to buy our groceries."  Oh yes ... she did!  It was a long line, too.)