Pages

Friday, August 4, 2017

Out of the mouths of babes!

            We went to the movies the other day, and there was this commercial that played before the movie.  It showed a bunch of moms taking a stand for something – like a breastfeeding mom and a working mom and a mom who bribes her kids to do work, etc.  And the message was “This is my choice.  I am a strong mom and woman, and I will not let myself be shamed by you.”

            And, yeah, I kind of liked it.  But then it ended with this, with what the whole commercial was about: 

            A mom steps up and says (an interpretation of its tone and message) that she doesn’t care if the particular food item that she was feeding her kids wasn’t organic or non-GMO or a healthy, hippy-dippy, crunchy-granola-mama, blah-blah-blah kind of food.  She says that her kids know what they like and don’t care what’s in it.  And she’s proud of her choice to give her kids this less healthy product and she’s not going to let anyone shame her into feeling bad about it.

            Okay, I get that.  We all give our kids unhealthy foods from time to time, treats or snacks or a quick, packaged meal.  And no one should feel shamed about doing that on occasion.

            But what I loved most about this commercial was my 7-year-old son’s reaction.  He turned to me with a horrified look on his face and said, “So… what!?!  They’re saying that you should just give your kids any gross thing!?!  That you should feel good about giving them junk!?!  They’re making it sound like it’s a good thing!”

            Out of the mouths of babes!  Babes who can see through a pathetic ploy to embolden you to give your kids unhealthy food and to make you feel like a pitiful, over-worried, manipulated-by-the-health-food-companies mom if you make careful, informed, healthy choices!    

            I’d love to meet the brains behind that pathetic commercial, to meet the people who really think that mocking health-conscious parents and that encouraging parents to feel good about themselves for making deliberate unhealthy choices would actually sell their product.  It made me want to laugh and cry at the same time.