Pages

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome is so much fun!


            I wanted to share this in case anyone else is dealing with it and is wondering what’s going on.

            A couple years ago, I began dealing with something called Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome.  It’s a mysterious “we don’t know what’s causing this or what to do about it” kind of thing. 

            For me, it presented itself as getting a severe stomach cramp (which felt like incredible hunger) and then needing to throw up the rest of the night.  Also, lights and sounds and smells would bother me and make me feel sicker, so I would have to hide in a dark room whenever I wasn't hugging the toilet and crying.  But in the morning, I would be fine.

            The thing is … it always happened right before my period.

            The first couple times it happened, it was the night before my period.  But eventually it shifted to the week before.  And this happened for a year.

            As I researched what could be causing this once-a-month vomiting spell, I ran across Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome on-line.  Apparently, it’s like an “abdominal migraine,” which would explain the sensitivity to lights and sounds and smells.  But they have no idea what causes it.

            And while they didn’t have any real answers for me, a couple people recommended taking vitamins for it.  I believe it was Vitamins D and B.

            I figured buying some high-quality vitamins was the cheapest and least invasive option to start with.  Easier than a doctor’s visit and the follow-up tests they would perform to figure out what was going on. 

            So I went out and bought the best vitamins I could find – Vitamin Code’s Women’s Multi Vitamins and their Raw-B Complex.  Since they are really expensive, I decided to start by taking a full dose for a couple weeks and then go to half-doses.  And I would evaluate how I felt after a month.

            But I didn’t have to wait a month to see any effects.  I had a nearly immediate reaction within a day or two of taking these vitamins: I felt a major cramp in my stomach and I spent the night throwing up.  The second time within a week. 

            But then … I never threw up again.

            I still have no idea what vitamin deficiency makes you throw up rhythmically, according to your hormonal cycle, but I make sure to take my vitamins regularly (half-doses).

            I’m sharing this in case anyone else is experiencing it.

            Take your vitamins!  High-quality vitamins!  It’s worth a try if you find yourself throwing up inexplicably once a month.  It worked for me.