Pages

Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Low-Sugar, Double-Chocolate, Coconut-Milk Breakfast Cake

I made this recipe to use up some of the coconut milk I bought during the lockdown (in case dairy became hard to get).  It turned out almost brownie-like in my opinion (considering that I never make brownies because they are too sugary).  It was soft, slightly chewy, chocolately, and very lightly sweet.  Perfect for breakfast with a cup of coffee or milk.  (We always do low-sugar, so add more if you want it sweeter or if it's going to be for dessert.)

Grease a 9x13 baking dish (I use glass).  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a big bowl, add and mix:
1 can coconut milk (I used a 13.66 oz. can unsweet organic coconut milk)
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup olive oil (or oil of your choice)
1 1/4 cups sugar (or up to 2 1/2 cups, if you prefer)
1 cup of water

Then mix these and blend with the wet ingredients:
4 1/2 cups flour (I use fresh ground flour)
2/3 - 1 cup cocoa powder (I use 1 cup, very cocoa-y)
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup shredded coconut (optional)

If the batter is too thick, add a bit more water.  If it's too thin, add a bit more flour.

Pour into greased pan, smooth out, sprinkle a spoonful of sugar across the top, and bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes, until done.  You may need to cover with foil the last 15 minutes.  Let it cool, then serve.  (Or serve warm.)  I am not a morning person, so I always make it the night before so that it's ready for breakfast in the morning.