Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2023

It is a dreadful thing ...

"Then [Jesus] said to them: 'Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom.  There will be great earthquakes, famines, and pestilences in various places, and fearful events and great signs from heaven." Luke 21:10-11

Any of this sound familiar, kinda like newspaper headlines?

I'm not sure how much time we have left, but I wouldn't wait too long.

"Seek the Lord while he may be found; call on him while he is near." Isaiah 55:6



"But wait," you say, "isn't God all soft and squishy, all about making us happy and giving us what we want?"

“I gave you empty stomachs in every city and lack of bread in every town, yet you have not returned to me,” declares the Lord... 

"I also withheld rain from you when the harvest was still three months away... People staggered from town to town for water but did not get enough to drink, yet you have not returned to me,” declares the Lord... 

"Many times I struck your gardens and vineyards, I struck them with blight and mildew.  Locusts devoured your figs and olive trees, yet you have not returned to me,” declares the Lord... 

"I sent plagues among you... killed your young men with the sword... overthrew some of you as I overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah... yet you have not returned to me,” declares the Lord.

“Therefore this is what I will do to you... and because I will do this to you, prepare to meet your God....”  Amos 4:6-12

How many of His calls to “return to Him” have you missed?  What if the events going on all over the world are warnings from God that the end is coming?  Are you prepared to meet your God?

"... for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night.  While people are saying, "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, as labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape." 1 Thess. 5:1-3

"It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands on the living God!"  Hebrews 10:31



"But wait," you say, "there is no God, so we don't need to worry about any of this."

And I say, I think we're gonna find out for sure soon enough.


“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.’... Then they will go to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.” Matthew 25:41,46

“If anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.” Revelation 20:15

“He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.  They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the majesty of his power on the day that he [returns].” 2 Thessalonians 1:9-10 


"So if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve ... But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord!" Joshua 24:15


Some encouraging songs (or terrifying, depending on where you're headed):