Pages

Friday, March 13, 2020

My "Every Day" Essential Oil Diffuser Blend for Staying Healthy

I have been using this essential oil blend every night all winter in the diffusers I keep in everyone's bedrooms.  Last winter, I used a similar one every night all winter.  (And I run one during the day in the living room.)  

Last winter, we only had one mild cold go through the house for the 6 of us, and this winter we got the flu once in February and a small cold this week.  Last winter was the first time I put diffusers in everyone's bedrooms and ran them every night, and last winter was the first time we didn't get the several sicknesses and the really bad, week-long flu (almost always between Christmas and New Year) that we got practically every winter before that.  I would like the think the diffusers made a big difference!

This is the blend I made and used all winter:


I reused an empty 1/3 fluid ounce (10 mL) essential oil glass bottle with a drip-top.  And in it, I added these essential oils:

120 drops Tea Tree 
120 drops Lavender
30 drops Lemon (or you can use Orange)
30 drops Peppermint 
10 drops Eucalyptus 
10 drops Lemongrass (optional, mostly for scent)

It has a slightly floral, slightly medicinal, slightly citrus smell.  It smells clean.  And every night, I add 5 drops to each diffuser (3 diffusers in total).  (Anything over 6 drops per diffuser is too strong for me.)  This recipe lasts me just under one month, running 3 diffusers at night and 1 during the day.  

(For topical use: You could add this blend to a carrier oil - I just use olive oil - to rub on your feet, chest, or behind your knees.  For kids 6-10 years old or adults with compromised immune systems, the safest dilution ratio is 1 drop essential oil blend per teaspoon carrier oil.  For average adults, the regular dilution ratio is 2 drops per teaspoon carrier oil.  Note: Experts don't recommend using eucalyptus on kids under 10, but the amount used in this recipe is so small that I myself would not have a problem using a small amount of this blend on children over 6 years old.  But that's just me.  Research safety guidelines for yourself.)   



[Note: There are cautions about using Eucalyptus on kids under 10 years old and Peppermint on kids under 6 years old, see this post.  (And Lemongrass is not for use on kids under 2 years old.)  But I am not sure if the warning extends to using it in the air with diffusers.  You may want to look into that if you have young kids.  Or simply leave out the peppermint and/or eucalyptus and/or lemongrass.    

A really safe, simple blend for kids over 6 months old - and for all adults, if you want - would be 120 drops Tea Tree Oil, 120 drops Lavender, and 30-60 drops Lemon or Orange (optional).  For diffusers, add between 1-6 drops per diffuser, depending on age.  Start with less for younger kids; you can always add more if it's not strong enough.  (Or for topical use on young kids, 6 months to 6 years old, or for people with compromised immune systems, add 1 drop per 4 teaspoons carrier oil.)  

Or if you don't want to make a bottle of preblended oils, just add 1-2 drops Tea Tree, 1-2 drops Lavender, and 1 drop Orange or Lemon per diffuser.  Or just do 1-3 drops Tea Tree and 1-3 drops Lavender (depending on age).  This is what I do when the preblended stuff runs out and I haven't made more yet.  I do 3 drops each Lavender and Tea Tree oil.  (All my kids are over 10 years old.)  It's pleasant, clean, and light-smelling.]


Also see these posts: Essential Oils Listed According to Uses and My Essential Oils and Their Uses