Pages

Tuesday, May 21, 2019

#youknowmetoo ... #imalive ... #momletmelive

You know that horrible hashtag going around - the "you know me" one where women celebrate the abortions they had.

Well, there should be a #youknowmetoo or #imalive or #momletmelive or something like that where anyone who knows they were almost an abortion can celebrate the fact that they are alive, that their mother let them live.  (Or maybe they themselves almost had an abortion, but kept their child.  And they can celebrate the fact that they did.)

I'll go first:  

"Hi, my name's Heather.  I'm a 43-year-old mother of four sons.  I have been married to the same wonderful man for 20 years.  I have a Master's in Counseling Psychology, but I've chosen to stay home instead to raise my sons.  I consider it an honor and immense blessing to be a wife and mother.  I believe in helping hurting people, in standing up for Truth, and I have put my faith in my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ!  

But ... I might never have been.  My mother got pregnant with me when she was 18, fresh from being released from an orphanage.  She was not married, and had no parents to guide her or help her.  She was young and alone and had nothing.  And she considered having an abortion.  (I don't know how much she considered it; I just know she did.  She told me about it once.  And we never talked about it again.  And for the record, I'm not upset that she considered it.  It doesn't matter to me that she did.  When I consider her life, I can understand.)

But obviously, she didn't have an abortion.  She chose instead to let me live.  And she even decided to raise me, though she had nothing in life.  Life hasn't been easy for her - she lost her parents young, went to an orphanage because no relative wanted her, got out of the orphanage, got pregnant right away, married my dad, divorced two years later, and married and divorced a couple more times.  

But ... you know me tooI'm alive today because my mom let me live.

She had it hard.  And I know it must have been a struggle for her, being an unwed, pregnant, homeless teen.  I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision to make.  But I'm very thankful that she didn't snuff out my life simply because it was most convenient for her!

She did the hard thing, the right thing.  She took responsibility for her choices and for the consequence of her choices.

A consequence she named Heather.

Thank you, Mom, for letting me live.  My sons are a part of your legacy.  A tribute to you and the responsible, selfless decision you made.  Thank you!"