Pages

Sunday, December 5, 2021

Using Essential Oils during Sick Season

Since we are headed into sick season (and have been in it for almost 2 years now), I thought I'd compile a few of my favorite, commonly-used essential oil recipes, for easy reference.

 

FYI: There are some essential oils that should not be used around pets (particularly tea tree oil), so research the oils you use before diffusing it in the same room as your pet.  And there are some that are not recommended for use on or around small children (or those with compromised immune systems).  Research the oils you use before using them if you have pets, little kids, or people with health issues.  I will add notes about using essential oils around children at the bottom of this post, and recommendations for dilution ratios.  (Also see “My Basic Safety Rules for Essential Oils.”)  NEVER use essential oils directly on skin without diluting first.  And dilute it more for younger kids.  I created the recipes below for my family’s use, for kids aged 10 and up.  And we all have averagely-healthy immune systems.  (All the oils listed in these recipes are Essential Oils, not fragrance or flavor oils.)


 


My Updated "Like Thieves" Blend:
(for topical use, slightly citrusy/spicy smelling)
To each 2 ounces of carrier oil or aloe (I prefer aloe because it's not greasy, but you have to blend/shake it well to mix it well), add:


8 drops Clove Bud
4 drops Cinnamon Leaf
3 drops Orange

3 drops Lemon
2 drops Lavender
2 drops Rosemary
2 drops Eucalyptus
1 drop Frankincense (optional)

Rub a coin-sized amount on bottoms of feet or behind knees when you feel sickness coming on or while you are sick.  I avoid putting this on more sensitive skin because spice oils are strong and can irritate sensitive skin. 

 

Or instead of using carrier oil or aloe, you could dilute this blend in water (in a small, hard-plastic spritz bottle), and then shake it well and spritz a few times around the room or on a t-shirt you are wearing or on the pillow you sleep on.  (Essential oils can ruin some fabrics, so don't use it on favorite or expensive clothes.)

 

[NOTE: Some sources say not to use Rosemary or Eucalyptus on kids under 10, but there isn't much in this blend.  But if you want, you could substitute a more kid-friendly oil such as Cypress, Lavendar, Tea Tree, or Chamomile.  Or just leave them out altogether.]

 

 

I also have a premixed batch of "Like Thieves" (just the essential oils, undiluted) that I keep in a small, glass bottle with a dropper.  It has:

 

80 drops Clove Bud
40 drops Cinnamon Leaf
30-40 drops Orange  (I prefer 30)
30-40 drops Lemon  (I prefer 30)
20 drops each: Lavender, Rosemary, and Eucalyptus

And then when I need it, I add 12 drops of this blend per ounce of carrier oil, aloe, or water.  Or I add 3 drops undiluted in a diffuser.

 

 

 

My "Breathe Easier" Blend:

Prepare and use the same way as "Like Thieves" (but I will also rub or spray this on our throats and chests because it doesn't have the spice oils).  For each 2 ounces of carrier oil, aloe, or water, add:

 

10 drops Lemon 

8 drops Peppermint

3 drops Eucalyptus

3 drops Tea Tree (or 1 Pine)

3 drops Frankincense (optional)

 

You can also make a “just essential oils” blend in a glass dropper-bottle using that ratio of oils, and then use it in a diffuser (3-5 drops) or dilute it in carrier-fluids anytime you need it.

 

[NOTE:  Some sources do not recommend using Peppermint or Eucalyptus on young children.  No Peppermint under age 6 and no Eucalyptus under age 10.  I might replace those with Lavender or Cypress or Tea Tree oil.  Or research other good oils for congestion and young children.]

 



My Everyday "Stay Healthy" Blend:
Prepare and use same as "Like Thieves” (but I will also use this one on throats and chests).  For each 2 ounces of carrier oil, aloe, or water, add:

8 drops Lavender
8 drops Tea Tree
4 drops Chamomile
4 drops Lemon
4 drops Eucalyptus (Optional.  For kids under 10, substitute with Cypress, Lavender, or Tea Tree, if you prefer.)
2 drops Frankincense (optional)

 

You can also make a “just essential oils” blend in a glass dropper-bottle using that ratio of essential oils, and then add it to a diffuser (3-5 drops) or dilute it in carrier-fluids anytime you need it.  




My Most Basic Owie/Sick Blend:

(One of the safest blends for everyone.  I use this one everyone in the family, including my preteen.  Just dilute it more for younger kids, if needed.)  


For each two ounces of carrier oil/aloe/water, add:

 

12 drops Lavender 

12 drops Tea Tree Oil

 

OR add Chamomile, using maybe 8 drops each of Lavender, Tea Tree, and Chamomile


These are two of the safest blends for almost anyone over 6 months old.  [But for kids up to 6 years old, it's best to use no more than 6 drops in total of essential oil per 2 ounces carrier-fluid.  And for 6 years old to adult-ish (or pre-teen, in my family), use no more than 12 drops in total of essential oil per 2 ounces carrier-fluid.] 

 

We use this topically whenever we feel sickness coming on, such as on our throats if we feel a sore throat, around our ears (on the outside) if we feel earaches, on our chests or on our face over our sinuses if we feel congestion, on the bottoms of our feet or behind our knees for an over-all boost.  And we put this on any skin infection or wound or mysterious problem we might have.  It’s my “go to” blend for all things health-related.  Just apply a small, coin-sized amount wherever you need it (on one or two body parts, or on bug bites, rashes, or infections), 1-2 times a day.  (Do not apply to open wounds.  But you can apply it near an open wound, a couple inches away, and it will work its way there once it's absorbed.)  


[I have even doubled the amounts: 24 drops Lavender and 24 drops Tea Tree per 2 ounces carrier aloe/oil.  But I only do that much with these two oils because, according to various sources, these are the only two essential oils that are safe to use undiluted on typically-healthy adults.  But I still don't like to use them undiluted because, apparently, it could cause an allergic reaction in some people that never goes away, meaning that you can never use them again.  And so I always dilute them.  But at a rate of 24 drops Lavender and 24 drops Tea Tree per 2 ounces carrier aloe/oil, it's very, very strong but still very diluted.  And all of us in my family have been okay with this blend.  We use it when we are sick or getting sick.] 

 

You can also make a “just essential oils” blend in a glass dropper-bottle using equal parts of these oils (or in a ratio you like better), and then add 3-5 drops to a diffuser or dilute it in carrier-fluids whenever you need it.     

 

 

 

 

Three Diffuser blends:

 

My “Dog-Safe” Everyday-Use Blend:

In a small, glass, 10 ml, essential oil bottle with a drip-top, I added:

50 drops Lavender

50 drops Chamomile

25 drops Lemongrass

I use 3-5 drops in the diffuser

[I made another similar blend that I like even better, but some people say lemon and mint are bad for dogs.  Others say it's okay if it's well-diluted.  And still others say it's great for dogs. So who knows!  That's why I added just a tiny bit of it in this blend: 60 drops Lavender, 15 drops Chamomile, 10 drops Lemongrass, 5 drops Orange, 2 drops Lemon, 2 drops Spearmint.  I like it.]

  

 

My "Everynight" Germ-Fighting Diffuser Blend 

In a small, glass, 10 ml, essential oil bottle with a drip-top, I added:

120 drops Tea Tree Oil

120 drops Lavender

30 drops Lemon

30 drops Peppermint

10 drops Eucalyptus

10 drops Lemongrass

I use 3-5 drops in the diffuser

 

(Optional, for more virus-fighting power: Add 6 drops each Clove Essential Oil, Ginger Essential Oil, and Thyme Essential Oil.)

 

  

“My Corona” Blend #2:

This is an essential oil blend I made to put in our diffusers at night while we are facing this coronavirus pandemic.  This one replaces an earlier “Corona” blend I made.  (And have you caught on yet, people, that there will always be another variant?  That's how viruses work; they mutate and evade our measures to stop them.  I am sure that it's not a surprise to health officials that variants keep appearing and that they cannot stop them.  I'm sure that they know this is how viruses work.  But I believe they are using "Oh my goodness, another variant!" as a fear-mongering tactic to control everyone, for political and sinister agendas.  I'm just sayin'.  It is no surprise that viruses mutate and evade vaccines.  Have vaccines ever been able to cure the flu yet?  Or do we see headlines every year claiming that "it's the worst flu season since blah, blah, blah"?)

I picked oils that are known for their powerful anti-viral properties, that are good for lung/respiratory health, and that help stimulate the immune system.  (I call it "My Corona Blend" for my own reference, but I make no promises about its ability to defeat the Coronavirus.  And yes, now I’ll be humming “My Sharona” all day.)  This smells a bit like a floral, lemon-thyme herb plant.  (You can adjust these oils a bit to suit your preference.)

In a small, glass, 10 ml, essential oil bottle with a drip-top, I added:

100 drops Lemon 

90 drops Lavender 

30 drops each: Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Lemongrass

24 drops each: Oregano, Thyme

15 drops Peppermint 


Use 3-5 drops in a diffuser.  (Optional: Add 6 drops each Clove Essential Oil and Ginger Essential Oil for a warmer, spicier scent and for the extra virus-fighting power.)

Here is why I chose each oil in the “My Corona” Blend, according to research I compiled in my list of essential oils and their uses.  But once again, there are no promises.  And this isn't medical advice, just my own opinion based on what I've read.  You are responsible for researching these oils for yourself and judging if they are safe for your family.


Lemon: good for boosting your immune system and fighting against infections, colds, and flu; and it smells great

 

Lavender: one of the best and safest all-purpose oils; good for fighting colds, flu, inflammation, viruses, and infections; aids in healing

 

Eucalyptus: good against infections, colds, flu, fever, poor circulation, infectious diseases, viruses, and chest congestion; good for your sinuses

 

Tea Tree: another one of the best and safest all-purpose oils; good against inflammation, infections, colds, flu, cough, and viruses; good for sinuses; stimulates the immune system

 

Lemongrass: good against infections, colds, flu, poor circulation, infectious diseases, and viruses; one of my favorite smells

Oregano: good against colds, flu, viruses, inflammation, and chest congestion (loosens mucus build-up in sinuses and respiratory tracts)

 

Thyme: good against inflammation, viruses, infections, colds, flu, cough, chest congestion, and bronchitis/pneumonia; boosts immune system


Peppermint: good against colds, flu, fever, inflammation, chest congestion, and viruses, helps your sinuses


 


 

For Reference:
Some essential oils good for congestion:
Cedarwood, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus, Frankincense, Geranium, Lavender, Oregano, Peppermint, Pine, Rosemary, Spearmint, Spruce, Tea Tree, Thyme

Some essential oils good for colds/flu:
Bay, Bergamot, Cinnamon, Clove, Eucalyptus, Frankincense, Geranium, Ginger, Grapefruit, Lavender, Lemon, Orange, Oregano, Pine, Peppermint, Rosemary, Spearmint, Tea Tree, Thyme

Some essential oils good for boosting your immune system:
Cinnamon Leaf, Clove, Cypress, Eucalyptus, Frankincense, Lavender, Lemon, Myrrh, Pine, Patchouli, Rosemary, Tea Tree, Thyme
 

 

General Dilution Recommendations for Topical Use:

Always research for yourself, but this is on the safer, "more diluted" side.  FYI: 1 ounce is equal to 6 teaspoons or 2 Tablespoons or 30 ml. 

            - For children 6 months to 6 years: use no more than 1 drop essential oil per 4 teaspoons carrier oil/aloe (.25%)  [Some sources say it's okay to go up to 3 drops essential oil per ounce (6 tsp/2 Tbl) of carrier oil for kids this young, a .5% dilution.  Research which oils though.  And personally, I would not recommend using essential oils on really, really young ones at all unless you know what you are doing and dilute very well!]

            - For children over 6 years old, pregnant women, elderly people, and people with compromised immune systems or sensitive skin: 1 drop per 1 teaspoon carrier oil or 3-6 drops per ounce carrier oil/aloe (up to 1%)  

            - For your average adult for regular daily use (I use this on my kids who are over age 10): 2 drops per teaspoon carrier oil or 10-12 drops per ounce of carrier oil/aloe (up to 2%)  

            - For more intense, short-term therapeutic use in adults: 3 drops per 1 teaspoon carrier oil, 15-18 drops per ounce (up to 3%)  
    


Using Essential Oils around Children:

From my research online, most oils can be used on kids over 10 years of age.  But Rosemary and Eucalyptus should not be used on kids under 10, and Peppermint should not be used on kids under 6 because these oils can slow breathing down too much.  (I only use these in small amounts in my blends anyway, so we have never had a problem, but it pays to be cautious.) 

Specifically, according to "The Hippy Homemaker," these are the oils you can use at particular ages (I only include the oils I have in my cabinet, and I believe her dilution ratios are wrong, so I recommend using the amounts I listed above):

For Babies aged 3 months to 6 months: chamomile and lavender.

For Toddlers aged 6 months to 2 years old, you can add bergamot, cypress, grapefruit, lemon (but sweet orange is gentler), neroli, palmarosa, rose otto, sandalwood, sweet orange, tea tree.  And you could also use these but only well-diluted: cedarwood, cinnamon leaf, pine.  And remember, no more than 3 drops total of essential oil per ounce of carrier oil.

For Children aged 2 years to 6 years, you can add basil, cinnamon leaf, frankincense, lime, lemon verbena, melissa, myrrh, oregano, patchouli, spearmint, ylang ylang.  Plus well-diluted clove, ginger, lemongrass, thyme.  No more than 3 drops total of essential oil per ounce of carrier oil.  (Although she didn’t talk about jasmine or vanilla, I would think they would be safe for young children also.) 
            For children aged 6 years to 10 years, add bay.  And well-diluted cardamom, nutmeg, peppermint.  No more than 6 drops total of essential oil per ounce of carrier oil.
            And for 10 and over, you can add eucalyptus and rosemary, plus nearly all others, diluted properly.  (She says not to use Thieves blends on kids under 10.)


 

Also, I recommend this post - "Essential Oils NOT Safe for Kids" - from the Proverbial Homemaker.  


Always do you own research for your family before using any oils.



This should help get you through sick season (along with eating healthy, taking your vitamins, using other immune-boosting products, and praying to God).  God bless, and stay safe and healthy in 2022!

 


And if we get sick, my plan is to rub essential oil blends on everyone and diffuse it in the air and to also give everyone these things (depending on their ages and if they can swallow vitamins): 

Vitamins C, D, and K

High-quality, whole-food multi-vitamins

Garlic pill

Oregano pills or drops

Black Seed oil pills

Echinacea pills

Kick-Ass Immune Activator (Pardon my French)

Elderberry Syrup

Fire Cider and/or Olive Leaf Complex, for those who can stomach it (I can't, but my husband loves it.)

Olba's cough syrup, if they have a cough

Echinacea-Zinc or Elderberry-Zinc lozenges

And immune-boosting tea with honey and half a lemon squeezed in (I really like Yogi's Elderberry Lemon Balm Immune+Stress tea.  It's wonderful tasting with lemon and honey, very fruity, even if you're not sick.)