Pages

Monday, February 6, 2017

A Garden in Winter

Unfortunately, we've had almost no snow this year.  I like snow.  I miss snow.  I think it's beautiful.  But there is also beauty and intrigue in winter when there's no snow.  And so on the first really nice, warm day in a while, I took my camera outside to take these pictures.  Hope you enjoy them!


My Royal Raindrops crabapple tree
I love the tiny red apples that hang there all winter.


 
 
 
A dried hydrangea flower
 
 
 
 
Another hydrangea
 
 
 
 
Coral bells, still beautifully colorful
 
 
 
 
Purple coneflower seed-head
 
 
 
 
Butterfly weed seed-pod
 
 
 
 
Rose bud that never made it
 
 
 
  
Lilac buds that the deer haven't eaten
 
 
 
 
Sage (herb)
 
 
 
 
Garlic chive seeds . . . I'll regret it later that I didn't cut these off before they spread seed everywhere
 
 
 
 
Japanese anemone
 
 
 
 
Close-up of dried hydrangea flower petals
 
 
 
 
Lamb's ears
 
 
 
 
Rhododendron (Azalea?) buds - I never did figure out which one it is
 
 
 
 
 
 And then the next day it rained:
 
Bonica rose hips
 
 
 
 
Crabapple
 
 
 
 
Sunflower
 
 
 
 
Ornamental grass 





 Kiss Me rose from last year
 
 
 
 

Honeysuckle 




The same coral bells, but even prettier
 
 
 

 Rain-dusted sage




Peony seed pod
 
 
 


Fungus on a fallen log
 


 
 
And some of my garden statues:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

This little guy was all by himself on the shelf at the store. 
He looked so lonely that I had to buy him.
 
 
 
 
My two favorites:
 
 
I love that this frog is so thankful for one little fly
 
 
 
 
And these are two pictures I took almost 17 years ago outside our first apartment.  
Snow had coated the crabapples and it was beautiful.
 

 
A little bit closer:
 (I miss snow!)
 
 
And this is the crabapple when it bloomed.  It's the white one in the foreground.