Pages

Friday, December 11, 2020

Simple Chicken Salad Sandwich with Dried Cranberries

Okay, so I bought a ton of cooked, canned chicken during the lockdown in March, and now I need to find ways to start using it.  

First I did a simple BBQ Chicken Pizza.  [Either make your own pizza crust dough or buy a premade one, top it with BBQ sauce and some chopped onions and garlic, sprinkle on some cooked chicken (drained and pressed, if it's full of water from the can), and add a thick layer of shredded mozzarella on top.  Bake till done.  I make my own thick crust, so I cook mine for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees.  If it starts to brown too much near the end, cover loosely with foil.]


I'll also use this chicken in my chicken enchiladas.  [Drain and press the chicken, add your favorite jarred salsa and some shredded cheddar cheese, roll up in flour tortillas and lay in a baking dish, top with a little more salsa and cheese, bake till done, about 45 minutes at 350 degrees.  Serve with sour cream.]


And then I tried using the canned chicken in a chicken salad sandwich recipe.  

I don't really care for chicken salad sandwiches (or even for chicken, for that matter), but I loved this recipe.  It's so fresh tasting.  And so simple.  (I think Panera Bread makes one kinda like it, with turkey, and I used to love it.  But they changed their recipe or something, and I don't like it anymore.  The one I make is much better.  And did I mention it's so simple?)

All you do is drain the canned, cooked chicken (press out any extra water in it), add some shredded carrot, diced apple, dried cranberries, walnut pieces, a spoonful of mayo, and salt and pepper to taste.  Then just spread it on bread, rolls, or a croissant, and eat.  

So simple, so quick, but so very good!