Pages

Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Cinnamon Zucchini (or Pumpkin) Bread

I love having recipes with interchangeable ingredients, like swapping out pumpkin for zucchini.  That way, one recipe can lead to several variations.  This is a wonderful Spiced Bread - pumpkin or zucchini.  We use it for breakfast, slathered with butter and drizzled with honey.


(FYI, I do not measure.  I eye-ball it.  So adjust it a little if you think it needs it.)


This makes two loafs.


In a large bowl, add ...

3 cups shredded Zucchini (or 1 can Pumpkin Puree)

3 Eggs


1 Tablespoon Vanilla


1/2 cup Oil  (I use Olive Oil, but you can use a different oil or lightly melted butter.)


1 1/2 cups Sugar


1/4 cup Molasses  (Optional.  You can leave this out for a lighter taste.  If I want a loaf with chocolate chips added, I usually leave out the molasses and cinnamon.)  


Mix all those together well.  


Mix these dry ingredients together in a separate bowl:

1 tsp Salt

2 tsp Baking Powder


2 tsp Cinnamon


4 1/2 to 5 cups Flour
  (I use fresh-ground flour that I grind at home.  If you are using white flour, you can probably use a little less.  Just start with less - maybe 4 cups flour - and add more if it's too runny.)

Add the dry ingredients to the wet, combine well.  

If it seems too dry, add a bit of water, such as 1/2 cup at a time, till it's a thick, spreadable batter.  If it's too wet, add some more flour.  (The last time I made this with the pumpkin and 5 cups of flour, I had to add a cup of water.  Or you could add a bit of applesauce if it seems too dry.  That makes a nice, moist addition.)

Sprinkle a little sugar on top of the batter.  Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45-60 minutes, or till a knife comes out clean when you stick it down through the middle.  If it starts to burn on top, place some foil over it loosely.  (I start checking my bread at about 45 minutes to see how done it is or if I should foil it.)

Optional:  Add some chopped walnuts, dried cranberries, raisins, chocolate chips, and/or dried flaked coconut to the batter, up to a cup of it.  I love it with the chopped walnuts.    

Cool before cutting into it.  (I like to store it in the fridge after it's completely cool because it's a moist bread.  I don't want it molding or getting "fermented" on my warm counter.  It also freezes well, at least according to my father-in-law.)

We love to top our slices with butter and honey, or with butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon-sugar.  Such a good breakfast!  It also makes a good homemade gift and a good addition to a holiday or pot-luck meal.







This is the pumpkin bread.  The buttered piece has walnuts added.